Wednesday, May 25, 2011

La France : Part Deux--The Journey Back.

I'm finally back in France! But it's a completely different feeling. For one, I haven't been to Paris yet (and yes, it is killing me), secondly, I've had a complicated two days of travel followed by two days of intense work and am thus exhausted, and thirdly, I really haven't seen the outside of a airplane, train, my apartment, or the university where I work. Briefly--our flight to Chicago went smoothly, but then we were delayed for two hours so we didn't land in Charles de Gaulle until 11am instead of 9am; waited in a long line, finally bought tickets, got on the train (it turned out to be the wrong one--ours was supposed to be 30 min later--and we as we just barely made it onto that earlier train, we accidentally sat in 1st class and couldn't switch--luckily the controleur never checked our tickets) and the train stopped half way through the tracks. Explanation? Ladies and gentlemen, as you can see the train has stopped in the middle of the tracks. Please do not try to exit. It is broken and will be delayed an hour. Typical French. Anyway, got to Marseille finally. Thought we were being picked up and what do you know, there was a misunderstanding. Took the metro complete with several classes of children yelling and adding to the incredible heat; took the bus; finally got a hold of the woman who had our keys--and problem number a million and three. Our dorm was at the top of a hill. Had to carry all our crazy baggage up only to reach the apartment and realize I didn't bring sheets and they certainly had no intention of providing them. Ah, well, at least I know I'm definitely back in France, right?

No comments: